This Dog Blog was created to bring together dog owners that live in Encinitas. Voice your views, your concerns, your questions, your experiences and knowledge


The recent expansion of leash free dog use at neighborhood parks has polarized the community


Hopefully this Dog Blog will develop a constructive dialog between all dog people

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hi
 I’m an advocate of properly designed dog parks.  I believe this mixed use concept is where so many of the problems lie.  Mainly unclean and unsafe for others.  Love my dog too, but dogs are dogs and they can still bite and knock people over, especially children.  That’s why Orpheus is empty, it’s not a smart destination for families.  You are also bound to encounter off leash dogs any time there as days and hours are not enforced by the city.    Land use issues are often solved by separation.  I could go on and on, but I’ll spare you my two cents.

I was wondering if you would consider posting the attached article to your blog.  I think people in Encinitas need to be educated on what a dog park should be.  I think the off leash subset of dog owners have gotten use to the lawlessness in Encinitas.  They have claimed these parks now  (there are 3 of them) and Encinitas has wasted a ton of money designing nice parks and turning them over to the dogs.  Best practices at other cities build dog parks usually in community park settings with parking and low residential effect.  Also dog parks are available 7 days week, all hours.

Thanks and good luck on your blog.  I truly hope it is helpful.  We do need leadership and proper planning on this issue.  Maybe your blog can help with that.



http://www.dogbitelaw.com/perfect-dog-park.pdf



1 comment:

  1. Take your dog over to Encinitas Ranch. The trails are not patroled, You can run your dog off leash without fear of getting cited.

    ReplyDelete